What is a Munch?
Munches . . .
… are social events where we get to meet other people with similar interests to ourselves, in an informal environment which is non-scene. No one feels pressured or awkward with public play as some people do prefer to keep it private, but enjoy knowing others with the same hobbies.
… first appeared in the States, in the California area, and were more formal than they are today in the UK. The word Munch is used as that's what would happen; a group of BDSMer's would meet up in a restaurant, order a dinner and some drinks and sit about talking and being sociable whilst eating a meal.
… take place in public restaurants where vanilla dressing and behaviour are the order of the day, so others around aren't offended by their behaviour.
- Munches in the UK -
- Today's Munches usually take place in a Vanilla pub instead of the traditional restaurant. You can usually still obtain food, and drinks are brought over the bar. The dress codes and behaviour should still be based on Vanilla … the chat can be about whatever you chose :-).
The Farnborough Munch
I thought I would mention more detail about the pub,
what to wear, and what happens at a Munch.
- The Pub
- Is a vanilla pub, but we have our own section not too far away from the bar, which we can use. Seating outside is available in good weather.
The food is good and very reasonably priced.
- What to wear
- The pub is Vanilla and we want to be allowed to come back month after month, so Vanilla everyday clothes … Jeans, T-shirts, whatever you would normally wear down the pub.
- A Munch isn't a play party, so no OTK spanking or full body bondage (although some playful taps are never far away, we have even witnessed
some of vanillas mucking about in the same way).
I want everyone to feel comfortable; this includes people attending the Munch and other patrons in the pub. The people that attend are all interested in various levels of BDSM and all so far seem to be friendly happy people.
- What you gain from attending
- A munch, as said before, is a good way to meet other people with similar interests as you. It is also a good way to make new friends and meet people that you can attend other events with.
People that have been in the scene longer are always eager to pass on what they have learnt along the way. It's always fun to discuss experiences and get new ideas for play or punishments.